City Sites

Race, Government, and Lawlessness

By Larry Kutzler on May 07, 2015 06:20 pm
The Baltimore race riots raised lots of questions about race in America. When you listen to the police force in Baltimore,you still can hear the anger when they tell the story of how their superiors told them to stand down and allow the rioters to loot and burn down the businesses. When President Obama talks about the need to create more opportunity in our African American communities, he failed to realize that the government already has employed a large part of the minority community.

Though 10 percent of the U.S. civilian labor force, African-Americans are 18 percent of U.S. government workers. They are 25 percent of the employees at Treasury and Veterans Affairs, 31 percent of the State Department, 37 percent of Department of Education employees and 38 percent of Housing and Urban Development. They are 42 percent of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., 55 percent of the employees at the Government Printing Office and 82 percent at the Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency.

So, I don’t think it’s about employment, or opportunity. In Baltimore, 63.3% of residents are African American, and 34.6% of the businesses are owned by African Americans. The city has a Black mayor, and nine of the city council members are minorities. I am having a hard time seeing where this city has a problem with race. However, it gives us a better picture of why the Mayor last week told the police officers to stand down, and let the rioters have space to loot and riot. In the city of Baltimore, 28 percent of the city population is white, while 46 percent of the police officers working in the city are white, according to Census data. Did the Black leadership of the city give in to race and allow these riots to happen because of the race of the rioters?

But regardless of their reasons, it comes down to the lawlessness of the people. The young man’s death that sparked this unrest creates as many questions for the city officials as it does for those six arrested police officers. Those six police officers who were charged with Freddie Gray’s death, three were black and 3 were white.  I can’t believe race placed a part in his tragic death.  Something more is going on here, because Baltimore is racially demographic African American city, having the majority control over city government leadership. As mentioned earlier, 46% of the Baltimore police department is white, so can we assume that minorities make up the balance of remaining 54%?

Race was not the core of this riot, the basis for this unrest is the spirit of our age demonstrating what the last days will produce. Lawlessness.

When Jesus talked about the deception of the Pharisees He illustrated that appearance may not be the real issue.  Notice this statement:

 

Matthew 23:28

 28 So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

You appear to have a cause, but inwardly you are only about serving yourself. These rioters may be using the excuse of racism, but inwardly it was just about rioting, looting, and getting away with being lawless.

The Apostle John had some insight on lawlessness.

1 John 3:4

 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

 

That is the reason these young people rioted, it was their normal way of living, the riots just put it on display for the media to see. Lawlessness is a trait of the last days, and it will become the norm. No community will be exempt from it’s affect, all people groups will experience it.  The minimization of law, spiritual truth, and ignoring the influence of principles and values, will usher in this spirit of the last days.

What are we to do? Be diligent in fulfilling Matthew 28:19

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

The preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only defense against the lawlessness of our age.  We have to put God back into the game, if we ever want to see change in our society, and eliminate the race debate. That would make a great slogan wouldn’t it?  “Put God back in the game,” I think it would catch on.

Keeping it honest and truthful….K